Tuesday, January 18, 2011

A Little Valentine Love

I'm getting ready for our monthly swap club, and I decided that it's not too early for a little Valentine Love! It's a one-piece wall hanging (note there are two pieces showing here), cut from plain ordinary chipboard ... such as the back piece of a 12x12 stack of designer paper. After cutting the chipboard base, then I painted it with acrylic paints ... first with pink, then with gun-metal grey, then added a touch of creamy white to the center. Once dry, then I overstamped the entire piece with brown polka dots. Now all that was left to do was the fun part -- embellish!
The pleated flower medallions were made from old book paper. Then I cut a Spellbinders Labels 5 die, and embossed it with a cuttlebug folder and then touched up the embossed areas with a light blue ink pad.
A heart was the perfect center, especially with a cute little sentiment such as S.W.A.K.

I hung one on each side of the antique china cabinet in my dining room ... my mom would be pleased! The cabinet first belonged to my grandma, then to my mom, and now to me. And I cherish the memories it holds. Later this month on January 28, it will be one-year since my mom went to her heavenly home. You see that flag on top of the china cabinet? It was from mom's funeral -- she was a World War II veteran. This is a very special room in my house for sure! The last year has held many emotions for me. I miss her so. But not enough to wish her back ... heaven is lucky to have her and my dad. There is indescribable peace in knowing that Jesus welcomed them home!
So ... I'd say this is a VERY special little Valentine, wouldn't you?

1 comment:

Cherie said...

Kay! I am so happy that you found my blog, and by the looks of it, I don't know how we've missed each other! Your crafting will draw me back here again, that is for sure. Such loveliness!